Reliance Industries Limited, the largest
private sector company in India and the second
largest manufacturer of polyester in the world,
set up an in-house research and development
centre to achieve ‘global leadership’ in polymer
and fibre business, through innovative research
and technology development in materials,
processes, products and applications. Thus the
Reliance Technology Center came into existence
at Thane, in 1997.
With a small team of 4 scientists and with
chemical laboratory, analytical instrument and
process engineering facilities, this centre has
demonstrated a working model for carrying out
business plan based on R&D with
To know more about this state-of-the-art Technology
Centre of ours, please choose
- In-house research & technology base to
maintain international competitiveness.
- Restricted access to novel technologies due
to RIL's growing size and global market reach.
- Unique opportunity for product innovations
based on understanding of special needs of
- Cost effectiveness
‘Science’ as a means to ‘Technology
Up-gradation and Development’
-> Perfect -> Implement
- To establish a centre of excellence for
Research & Development in PET homo and
co-polymer fibres and resins through
disciplined, motivated and time bound execution
- To create an environment conducive to
intellectual growth, efficient flow of
information and accountability in order to
achieve a productive and sustained phase of
- To closely interact with the business group
companies and technical groups for short, medium
and long-term quality and process issues.
- To thrive to become a catalyst to the growth
of company's polyester business.
- To leverage synergy between Reliance's PET,
Polymers and Fibre intermediate businesses.
- To create, maintain and pursue strategic
research alliance for top end research
'Global leadership in Polymers, Fibres and Resin
businesses' through innovative Research and
Technology Development in materials, processes,
products and applications through efficient,
disciplined, target oriented and cost effective
Research and Development activities.
- New product development in fibres, filaments
- Needs analysis / applications research.
- Novel process technology development.
- Technology monitoring & forecasting.
- Scientific support to operations in the form
- Technology selection & absorption.
- Process technology optimisation &
- Product benchmarking & quality
- Cost reduction.
- Commercialisation of CP based slurry route
process technology for superior quality dope
dyed black polyester staple fibres (25,000 tpa
- Development & commercialisation of
indigenous finish system resulting in cost
- Applications research & development with
short cut polyester staple fibres (SCPSF).
- Technical feasibility demonstration.
- 'Novel fabrics' with 'ultra-microdenier'
FDY/POY through bi-component filaments.
- Flame retardant polyester.
- Dope dyed 'grey' staple fibres.
- R & T activities initiated in 1997 with
a core group of scientists in Thane.
- Analytical instrument facilities established
for chemical & physical structure
characterisation of polymers & fibres.
- Polymerisation synthesis facilities
established at bench scale (1 kg), laboratory
scale (10 kg) & pilot scale (50 kg).
- Successful model for 'Innovation from
Concept' to 'Commercialisation' demonstrated
- Technological focus with scientific
- Approach to the problem: 'know-how' with
RTC functions as the
primary think-tank of the company because of its
quality human resources. The current
intellectual capital base at RTC includes
scientists, specialists and technicians
supported by engineers.