Mumbai, 1st May 2021:
As India grapples with an unprecedented new wave of the Covid Pandemic, Reliance Industries has risen to the occasion by making an all-out effort to save precious lives.
A critical need of the hour is assured availability of medical grade liquid oxygen for treatment of severely ill patients
across the country. Traditionally, Reliance is not a manufacturer of medical grade liquid oxygen. Yet, starting from Nil before the pandemic, Reliance Industries has now become India’s largest producer of this life-saving resource from a single location. At its refinery-cum-petrochemical complex in Jamnagar and other facilities, RIL now produces over 1000 MT of medical grade liquid oxygenper day — or over 11% of India’s total production
– meeting the needs of nearly every one in ten patients.
Under the personal supervision of Shri Mukesh Ambani, Chairman and Managing Director, at Jamnagar, Reliance has adopted a two-pronged approach to strengthen the availability of medical oxygen in India:
1. Refocusing several industrial processes at Reliance’s Jamnagar and other facilities for rapid scale-up in production of medical grade liquid oxygen.
2. Augmenting loading and transportation capacities to ensure its swift and safe supply to States and Union Territories across India.
Enhancing production of Medical Grade Oxygen at Reliance facilities
Ensuring swift supply of Oxygen across States and Union territories
- Prior to this pandemic, Reliance was not a manufacturer of medical grade liquid oxygen. However, RIL engineers quickly reconfigured and optimised current operations – designed for Refining and Petrochemicals grade oxygen – to produce high-purity medical grade oxygen.
- Medical grade liquid oxygen has to be produced in liquid form at -183°C with almost 99.5% purity, which poses extraordinary challenges and risks in production and maximising tonnage.
- Reliance engineers worked tirelessly and, through process optimisation and modifications of Cryogenic Air Separation Units, were able maximise production of medical grade liquid oxygen in a very short span of time.
- Reliance has now been able to ramp up its production of medical grade oxygen from ZERO to 1000 MT per day, constituting more than 11% of the country’s total medical grade liquid oxygen production.
- This oxygen is being provided free-of-cost to several State Governments across the country to bring immediate relief to over 1 lakh patients on a daily basis.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020, Reliance has supplied over 55,000 MT of medical grade liquid oxygen across the country.
- In addition to the production of high-quality medical grade liquid oxygen, the other challenge has been to quickly overcome the transportation bottleneck in supply of liquid oxygen to various parts of the country. This necessitated increasing the loading capacity for its safe and quick transportation.
- To achieve this, Reliance engineers made smart logistical modifications to rail and road transport, such as laying parallel lines, using hoses, and loading up liquid tankers through pressure differential, since liquid oxygen pumps cannot be installed at short notice.
- In another innovation, Reliance converted nitrogen tankers into transport trucks for medical grade oxygen, through innovative and safe processes that were approved by the Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization (PESO), the relevant regulatory body of the Government of India.
- Reliance organised the airlifting of 24 ISO containers into India from Saudi Arabia, Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands and Thailand adding 500 MT of new transportation capacity for liquid Oxygen. These ISO containers will help in removing the transport constraints for medical grade liquid Oxygen in the country. In addition, Reliance is airfreighting more ISO containers over the next few days.
- We would like to offer our sincere thanks to Aramco, BP and IAF for their immense help in providing and transporting ISO containers to help the country in its battle against Covid.
Commenting on these initiatives, Shri. Mukesh Ambani, Chairman and Managing Director, Reliance Industries Limited
, said: “For me and for all of us at Reliance, nothing is more important than saving every life as India battles against a new wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. There is an immediate need to maximise India’s production and transportation capacities for medical grade oxygen. I am proud of our engineers at Jamnagar who have worked tirelessly, with a great sense of patriotic urgency, to meet this new challenge. I am truly humbled by the determination and sense of purpose shown by the bright, young members of the Reliance family who have once again risen to the occasion and delivered when India needs it the most.”
Smt. Nita Ambani, Founder-Chairperson of Reliance Foundation
, said: "Our country is going through an unprecedented crisis. We at Reliance Foundation will continue to do everything we can to help. Every life is precious. Our plants at our Jamnagar refinery have been repurposed overnight to produce medical grade liquid oxygen that is being distributed across India. Our thoughts and prayers are with our fellow countrymen and women. Together, we will overcome these difficult times.”
Reliance Foundation scales up COVID operations in Mumbai
April 26, 2021
With 875 beds for COVID patients, Reliance Foundation makes the largest contribution to COVID care in Mumbai by any philanthropic organization.
- Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital will manage a dedicated 650-bed COVID care facility at National Sports Club of India, Worli, Mumbai
- 100 New ICU beds being created by Reliance Foundation
- 100 beds being set up at Trident Hotel, BKC, for asymptomatic patients
- ICU bed capacity augmented at Seven Hills Hospital to a total of 125 beds including 45 ICU beds
- All COVID patients at NSCI and Seven Hills Hospital being treated free of cost
In response to the massive surge of COVID cases in Mumbai, Reliance Foundation (RF) has scaled up its operations to address the growing needs of COVID management in the city and strengthen the Government’s fight against the pandemic.
Deepening its engagement with the Government of Maharashtra and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), Reliance has undertaken four more
significant initiatives, in our battle against COVID in Mumbai:
Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital to Manage 650-bed facility at NSCI:
- RF will newly create, commission and manage 100 Intensive Care Unit (ICU) beds that will be made operational in phases from May 15, 2021.
- Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital will take over, from May 1, the management and operations of nearly 550-beds ward, which is currently operational.
- Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital (RFH) will operate and manage nearly a total of 650 beds for COVID patients.
- A team of more than 500 frontline workers comprising doctors, nurses and non-medical professionals will be deployed round-the-clock to oversee medical management of the patients.
- The entire expenditure for the project – comprising ICU beds and monitors, ventilators and medical equipment – and the operational cost for the 650 beds will be borne by Reliance Foundation.
- All the COVID patients in NSCI and Seven Hills Hospital will be treated absolutely free.
Last year, RF and BMC had set up India’s first COVID hospital with a dedicated 225-bed facility at Seven Hills Hospital, Mumbai. Out of the 225 beds; 100 beds, including 20 ICU beds, are exclusively managed by Sir H N Reliance Foundation hospital.
The Seven Hills Hospital is expanded by an additional 25 ICU beds. This expansion will create a total of 125 beds
being managed by RF Hospital including 45 ICU beds.
100 beds are being commissioned at The Trident hotel in Bandra Kurla Complex to treat mild, moderate and asymptomatic patients, in accordance to the guidelines issued by the BMC. The step-down facility will be manned and managed by Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital.
This was decided in a meeting of the Honourable Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Minister for Tourism and Environment, Senior MCGM Officials, Reliance Foundation and Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital.
All put together, RFH will be managing nearly 875 beds, including 145 ICU beds, across NSCI, Seven Hills Hospital and the Trident, BKC.
This is the largest contribution to COVID care in Mumbai by any philanthropic organisation.
Speaking about the augmented COVID facilities, Smt Nita Ambani, Founder and Chairperson of Reliance Foundation
, said, “Reliance Foundation has always been at the forefront of service to our nation and it is our duty to support India’s relentless fight against the pandemic. Our doctors and frontline healthcare staff have worked tirelessly and will continue to save precious lives by providing the best medical care to the needy. Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital will be managing 875 beds across the city of Mumbai.”
“We are also providing 700 MT of Oxygen daily to Gujarat, Maharashtra, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Daman, Diu & Nagar Haveli completely free of cost. This is being expanded even further. In these trying times for India and the city of Mumbai, as a fellow Indian, we remain steadfast in our commitment to do whatever it takes to serve our people. Corona Haarega, India Jeetega!” Smt. Nita Ambani added.
Last year, Reliance Foundation launched ‘Anna Seva’, the world’s largest food distribution program providing 5.5 crore meals.
In addition, Reliance Foundation has enabled the following initiatives, to further strengthen our fight against COVID:
- RF supported the setting up of new COVID care facility at Spandan Holistic Mother-And-Child Care Hospital in Deonar in Mumbai.
- Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital has set up an exclusive 10-bed dialysis centre in HBT Trauma Hospital, Mumbai in collaboration with BMC.
Message from our Chairman and RF Founder-Chairperson to the Reliance Family
April 23, 2021
Dear Members of the Reliance Family,
India is dealing with a more severe, second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Infections are rising faster than last year, leading to tremendous pressure on our nation’s doctors, medical professionals, and the country’s healthcare system.
The COVID-positive caseload may rise further over the next several weeks before we begin to see a downward curve.
We must be even more vigilant now and uncompromising in observing the strictest measures of safety, precaution, and hygiene.
Nita and I assure you that the entire institution of Reliance—the Reliance Foundation, all our businesses, and the entire Reliance Family—are here to support you, always.
A key weapon in our battle against the coronavirus is the COVID-19 vaccine. Many of you and your eligible family members have already taken the vaccine under the Government of India’s vaccination program. Reliance has continued to bear the vaccination cost for all eligible members.
In addition, as per the new guidelines of the Government of India, we are pleased to announce that Reliance will roll out our own vaccination programme, R-Surakshaa, across locations for all our employees and eligible family members above the age of 18 years, effective May 1, 2021.
We urge you to avail your shot at safety without any delay and encourage your eligible family members to do the same.
Our work during this pandemic
When the COVID-19 pandemic broke out last year, our entire organisation mobilized on a war footing.
- Our frontline COVID-warriors displayed a commendable spirit of service at our hospitals, across Jio offices, Reliance Retail stores, PPE manufacturing facilities, at Reliance Life Sciences, and more.
- We have seamlessly transitioned to “Work From Home” for over 13 months without disruption to our businesses.
- We have augmented the Reliance Medical team and are continuing to add to its strength. We further increased dedicated COVID-bed capacity across various locations and augmented the number of RT-PCR testing kits, ventilators, and other critical infrastructure across our medical facilities in all our locations.
- To address mental health challenges, we onboarded Silver Oak Health as a partner for our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) and augmented services within the JioHealthHub App.
- Reliance Foundation continues to be on the ground addressing the humanitarian challenges, distributing more than 5.5 crore meals and 67 lakh masks among the needy sections of our society.
- Our Leadership team has been monitoring the COVID situation across the organisation and has been calibrating our resources and response accordingly.
Be rest assured, this invaluable experience over the past year is being deployed expertly at the moment as we face the current COVID wave.
Action plan for the next three months of 2021
Over the next three months, I urge all of you to provide all the support you can to your peers, colleagues, and teams. To all Reliance people managers and leaders:
- Please review ‘business critical’ deliverables for your teams for the next few weeks and months. Prioritize deliverables keeping in mind the challenges members must be facing due to the pandemic. Extend support, empathy, and flexibility.
- Those not affected by COVID-19 themselves or within immediate family should support those who may need to take time off.
- Our priority remains the safety and health of our people. Do everything possible to uphold this principle and safeguard members of your team and their families.
- Ensure that you are cascading all health and safety information to your teams. Refer to the R-World portal for all important and updated resources.
- Encourage peer-to-peer support. Use the MyVoice platform to encourage sharing experiences, thoughts, and feelings in a safe, virtual environment.
In these trying times, all of us in the Reliance Family should provide emotional, psychological, and practical support to one another. Let us pledge to stand with one another, stand by one another, and stand up for one another.
Together, let us help our beloved nation overcome this pandemic. Together, we can, and we will!
Corona Haarega India Jeetega!
Mukesh Ambani and Nita Ambani
Message from RF Founder-Chairperson Nita Ambani to the Reliance Family about COVID-19 vaccine
March 5, 2021
My dear members of the Reliance Family
I hope all of you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy.
As you are aware, the Government of India has launched the world's largest COVID-19 vaccination programme across the country. I am sure that it is only a matter of time now before India wins its battle against COVID-19 and we will step into a future full of hope, happiness, and new beginnings.
In our Reliance Family Day 2020 message, Mukesh and I had personally assured you that as soon as any approved COVID-19 vaccine is available in India, we will do our best to plan early vaccination for all Reliance employees and family members. We remain committed to this goal and to contributing to our nation's collective ability to end the coronavirus pandemic as soon as possible.
For those who are eligible to be vaccinated, we strongly urge you to register quickly for the Government of India's vaccination programme currently underway.
As per our earlier commitment, Reliance will bear the full cost of vaccination
for you, your spouse, your parents, and vaccine-eligible-aged children. You and your family's safety and wellbeing is our responsibility. Mukesh and I truly believe that cherishing the health and happiness of our loved ones is what it means to be part of a family – the Reliance Family
With your support, we will soon be able to put this pandemic behind us. Until then, please do not let your guard down against the scourge of the coronavirus just yet. Continue to maintain utmost safety and hygiene precautions. We are in the last stages of this collective battle. Together, we must win and we will win!
Mukesh and I wish you and your family the best of health always.
Stay safe. Stay blessed.
Corona haarega, India jeetega!
Nita M. Ambani
Watch: Reliance Salutes India's Frontline Heroes
May 16, 2020
Team Reliance is working tirelessly to support India in the ongoing battle against the COVID-19 pandemic. This short, inspiring film is a tribute to the resilient spirit of India and all our frontline heroes. Together, we will win, and India will win!
Message from RF Founder-Chairperson Nita Ambani: Reliance Foundation Launches World's Largest Meal Service Initiative for Marginalized Families
My dear members of the Reliance Family,
April 19, 2020
I hope each one of you and your families are safe and healthy.
COVID-19 is an unprecedented pandemic for the world, for India and for humanity. These are difficult times, and you may be feeling anxious, but please remember that you are not alone.
For Mukesh and me, it is a top priority to ensure that each one of you, and your loved ones in your families, are safe, protected, and COVID-free.
As India enters this extended period of lockdown, our hearts go out to all our fellow citizens who depend on daily wages for their survival.
They, too, are members of our collective Indian family — our own Bharat Parivar.
This is why, at Reliance Foundation, we have launched Mission Anna Seva
– our pledge to feed needy Indians. In our culture, Anna Daan
is Maha Daan
. The Upanishads teach us that ‘food itself is Brahma’.
Through Mission Anna Seva, we will provide over 3 crore meals to marginalised communities and frontline workers across the nation.
Mission Anna Seva will be the largest meal distribution programme ever undertaken by a corporate foundation anywhere in the world. The beneficiaries of this programme include daily wage earners, slum dwellers, urban service providers, factory workers, and residents of old-age homes and orphanages.
Further, I am pleased to share with you that, in partnership with the BMC, Reliance has set up India’s first 100-bed exclusive COVID-19 Hospital in Mumbai in just two weeks - a national record. We are now expanding this facility to a capacity of 250 beds.
We will produce one lakh masks and hundred thousand PPEs (Personal Protective Equipment) daily for health-workers and caregivers across India.
Reliance is also providing free fuel to emergency vehicles
to help ensure COVID-19 patients quickly get the medical care they require.
In this hour of need, our colleagues at Reliance Retail
are working overtime to provide essential supplies every day to millions of Indians through our stores and home deliveries across over 200 cities
Our colleagues in Jio
are providing uninterrupted and most reliable digital connectivity
to over 40 crore individuals and thousands of organisations, through its work-from-home, study-from-home, and healthcare-from-home solutions.
Reliance Life Sciences
has enhanced India’s COVID-19 testing capabilities by developing its own confirmatory tests and is in the process of expanding this testing capacity for India even further.
has donated Rs 535 crores to various relief funds, including the PM CARES fund.
Mukesh and I salute the indomitable spirit and service-mindedness
of all of you in our Reliance Family.
You have stood together as one. You are the beating heart of the RIL institution.
A special mention and gratitude
to all our doctors, nurses, medical personnel, and staff of Sir H. N. Reliance Foundation Hospital
; our scientists and researchers at Reliance Life Sciences
; our colleagues at Reliance Retail
in the back-end and front-end; and the entire team at Jio.
All of you have made us PROUD! You are the true heroes and warriors in this battle against COVID-19
To catch a glimpse of the tireless efforts of everyone at Reliance Foundation and the larger Reliance Family, we have put together this short video while remaining in our home.
Whenever India is faced with adversity, our people have always overcome it with unity and determination. Our response to this crisis will be no different. Together, we will win!
Corona Haarega, India Jeetega.
Stay safe, stay happy.
Nita M Ambani
Message from the Chairman: The Reliance Family Stands in Solidarity with India
April 4, 2020
Adversity has always brought out the best in Reliance throughout its history. Our company has proved this yet again now when our beloved country and the rest of the world are battling a most formidable adversity in modern history: the COVID-19 pandemic.
I am truly humbled to witness each one of you across the Reliance family displaying extraordinary levels of commitment during these times. You have risen to the nation's call-of-duty in exemplary solidarity with each other and with our fellow-citizens.
Indeed, our collective efforts have been appreciated by none other than our Honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
On his Twitter account, our Prime Minister said:
"The entire Reliance team has been making effective contributions in the fight against COVID-19. Be it in healthcare or assisting people, they have been active. I thank Mukesh & Nita Ambani Ji for contributing to PM-CARES and for their other work towards defeating Coronavirus."
Nita and I were truly overwhelmed by the Prime Minister's message. We gratefully sent the following reply to him:
"Most respected Pradhan Mantri ji, we at RIL and Reliance Foundation are humbled and inspired by your words of trust in us. We stand in solidarity with you and the entire nation and are determined to do more. Your towering statesmanship motivates all the 1.3 billion Indians to achieve early victory in our collective battle against COVID-19 and set an example to the rest of the world. Jai Hind!"
My dear colleagues, let us continue to live up to the trust that our Hon’ble Prime Minister has reposed in the Reliance Family. We bear a special responsibility because almost all our current businesses and all the current activities of Reliance Foundation are in the nature of ‘Essential Services’ for India's war against COVID-19.
Jio has become the lifeline for nearly 40 crore Indians, especially during this nationwide lockdown. At Jio, we have created an end-to-end COVID-19 platform to manage the healthcare and well-being of our employees and family members. This platform not only facilitates the daily self-monitoring of symptoms but also triggers emergency medical response for immediate attention, if required. This solution is available to all Reliance employees and family members and will soon be rolled out to our wider community members in Mumbai and India. Jio has also developed a tele-medicine consulting app on the mobile phone, which can facilitate virtual video consultations between any mobile user and our doctors registered on the platform. Again, this is also available to our employees and family members for free.
Reliance Retail is supplying most essential food and other items to millions of Indian families unceasingly. In collaboration with the procurement groups across RIL, it is also working relentlessly to source equipment and materials required for testing, isolation and treatment, including sanitation and personal protective equipment.
Reliance Life Sciences has enhanced India's COVID-19 testing capabilities by developing its own confirmatory tests. As a result, we can now carry out COVID-19 tests for Reliance employees and family members on priority. We are in the process of expanding this testing capacity even further and will soon have it ready for the larger community.
Our plants, ports, and sites are working non-stop to keep the wheels of the economy moving, ensuring India remains secure in fuel and energy.
Above all, Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital established a dedicated 100-bed COVID-19 treatment facility at Seven Hills hospital in Andheri, Mumbai, in just a matter of 10 days. Our doctors and other healthcare personnel are also working round-the clock to ensure that our nearly 20-lakh extended Reliance Family throughout India remains COVID-free even in the worst-case scenario.
Supporting all these efforts are several functions across Reliance, ranging from engineering, construction, corporate services, human resources, finance, commercial and security services to corporate affairs.
Therefore, I firmly believe that each one of our colleagues across our businesses deserves to be honoured as "Frontline Warriors."
Each one of you is playing a part in keeping Reliance productive through these tough conditions. I wholeheartedly appreciate and applaud all of you for your commitment and service to the country and to the company.
While we have done tremendously well so far, we cannot rest until India has fully conquered the coronavirus calamity. The public health crisis is daunting alone, but the economic and humanitarian crises on our hands must also be addressed. Each one of you in the Reliance family has the power to make India safer, healthier, and stronger.
Let's continue to practise safe social distancing, report daily on the Symptoms Checker, use the technology platforms for virtual care that we have developed and, most importantly, stay positive, productive, and optimistic through these times.
My first commitment is to the welfare of you and your family members. And our common commitment to India is our motto: #CoronaHaaregaIndiaJeetega!
Finally, I would like to share a thought with you. The three-week lockdown has given each one of us precious time and opportunity to be with ourselves and our loved ones. Let us make the best use of this time for self-cultivation, for the happiness of our families; nurture good feelings and good thoughts and engage in creative new endeavours. I encourage you to share your reflections with all of us on the MyVoice platform, which will be be launched in the next 48 hours on ESS, R-Connect, and EmpXP. Let us inspire the best and the most creative in each other. Let us draw strength from each other as members of one Reliance Family.
Together, I am confident that we will be able to pull through this difficult time and emerge safely in health and in wellbeing as one big Reliance Family.
My best wishes to you and all your loved ones.
Reliance Industries contributes Rs. 500 Crore Contribution to PM CARES Fund in addition to its Multi-pronged On-the-Ground Fight against COVID-19
Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) announced a donation of Rs. 500 crores to PM CARES Fund to support the nation’s fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. RIL has also provided contributions of Rs. 5 crore each to the governments of Maharashtra and Gujarat to support their fights against the coronavirus.
We also continue our 24x7, multi-pronged, on-the-ground effort to ensure the nation remains prepared, fed, supplied, safe, connected and motivated to fight and win against the unprecedented challenges brought upon by the Coronavirus pandemic.RIL and Reliance Foundation is leading with a significant effort that encompasses several initiatives. These include:
“We are confident that India will conquer the coronavirus crisis sooner rather than later. The entire Reliance Industries Limited team is with the nation in this hour of crisis and will do everything to win this battle against Covid-19.”
Chairman and Managing Director, Reliance Industries Limited
- Contribution of Rs. 500 crores to the PM-CARES Fund
- Contribution of Rs. 5 crores to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund of Maharashtra
- Contribution of Rs. 5 crores to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund of Gujarat
- India’s first 100 bed exclusive Covid-19 Hospital geared up in just two weeks to handle Covid-19 patients
- 65.7 Lakh free meals in the next 10 days across the nation and scaling up rapidly to more meals and newer areas
- One Lakh masks daily for health-workers and caregivers
- Thousands of PPEs daily for health-workers and caregivers
- Free Fuel across the country to notified emergency response vehicles
- Jio seamlessly connecting nearly 40 crore individuals and thousands and thousands of organisations daily on its telecom backbone via ‘work from home’, ‘study from home’ and ‘health from home’ initiatives, helping to keep the country going
- Reliance Retail providing essential supplies daily for millions of Indians via stores and home deliveries
“As the nation comes together to fight the COVID-19 pandemic, all of us at Reliance Foundation stand in solidarity with our countrymen and women, especially those on the frontlines to whom we pledge our full support. Our doctors and staff have helped set up India’s first COVID-19 Hospital and are committed to supporting the government in exhaustive screening, testing, prevention, and treatment of Covid-19.
The need of the hour is also for us to support our marginalized and daily wage communities. Through our meal distribution programme, we aim to feed lakhs of people daily across the country.”
Founder Chairperson, Reliance Foundation