Refining & Marketing
The Jamnagar Jewel — Making India the refining hub of the world
The Jamnagar refinery complex was commissioned in a record 30 months, redefining the timelines for project completion of such scale. Today, Reliance is recognised as among the top companies in the world in project management.
The Jamnagar refinery complex houses some of the world's largest units, such as the Fluidised Catalytic Cracker (FCC), Coker, Alkylation, Paraxylene, Polypropylene, Refinery Off-Gas Cracker (ROGC) and Petcoke gasification plants.
The refinery has processed over 216 different grades of crude oil produced in the world – perhaps the only refinery to achieve this feat.
The configuration of the refinery—which has a complexity index of 21.1—gives us the versatility to process almost all grades of crude oil produced and meet the increasingly differentiated and more demanding product specifications of global markets.
The facilities at Jamnagar help us make products that can meet the strictest environmental norms. This gives us a competitive advantage in catering to the needs of many markets across the world. Significant flexibility in grade switching capabilities in gasoline and gasoil help us capture market opportunities and also toggle between export and domestic market as per demand dynamics.
- Our Jamnagar refinery is the largest and most complex single-site refinery in the world with 1.4 million barrels per day (MMBPD) crude processing capacity and a complexity index of 21.1 – the highest in the world.
- Our crude processing capacity is supported by high-quality logistics infrastructure assets, including a marine facility, giving access to and allowing berthing of ships ranging from gas carriers and small chemical carriers to the world’s largest crude oil (VLCCs) and product vessels.
- We have the largest petcoke gasifier in the world designed to run on both coal and petcoke, giving the flexibility to optimize based on raw material cost. Our petcoke gasification units allow us to extract the full-value from barrels of crude oil processed, converting the bottom of the barrel into high-value energy.
- We successfully commissioned and stabilised the world’s largest Paraxylene complex. We also successfully commissioned and achieved design throughput of the world’s largest Refinery Off-Gas Cracker (ROGC) complex in Jamnagar.
- We are the largest integrated petrochemical producer in India and the world’s largest integrated polyester producer. We are among the top five producers of Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) and Polypropylene (PP) in the world, and we rank 3rd globally in Paraxylene (PX) production. We are in the top quartile for our performance in costs, safety, and operational excellence.
- Our global footprint includes international trading offices and tankages at key demand centres.
World's largest integrated,
single-site refinery complex
India (11) & Malaysia (3)
PTA and PP
4.6 MMTPA capacity
An integrated oil-to-chemicals portfolio
Reliance O2C includes world-class refining and petrochemicals manufacturing assets located at Jamnagar, Hazira, Dahej, Nagothane, Vadodara, Patalganga, Silvassa, Barabanki and Hoshiarpur as well as in Malaysia at Nilai, Melaca, and Kuantan.
It also includes our fuel retailing partnership with bp, called Reliance bp Mobility Limited (RBML) – operating under the Jio-bp brand – and Butyl Rubber JV with Reliance Sibur Elastomers Private Limited.
The integrated O2C business structure enables an integrated decision-making approach that helps maximise and optimise the entire value chain from crude to refining to petrochemicals to the B2B/B2C model.
Through our O2C business, we have focused on building new capacities, strengthening our existing positions, and making our refinery and petrochemical businesses among the largest, most integrated, and most competitive in the world.
Reliance has the world’s largest petcoke gasifier in Jamnagar. Our petcoke gasification initiative converts low-value petroleum coke from the refinery to usable, high-value fuel, making Jamnagar energy-efficient and self-sufficient in meeting its power and utilities requirement.
Our petcoke gasification project will transform Jamnagar into a unique “bottom-less” refinery by upgrading low-value refinery residue and petcoke, into syngas. This will help in reducing the impact of Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) price volatility by substituting high-cost Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) imports.
Petcoke gasification enables indirect “Petcoke to Ethylene” for cost-competitive “Make-in-India” petrochemicals.
Refinery Off-Gas Cracker (ROGC)
We run the world’s largest Refinery Off-Gas Cracker (ROGC) complex. The ROGC complex at Jamnagar has an ethylene capacity of 1.7 million metric tonnes per annum (MMTPA).
Using the refinery off-gases as feedstock, this cracker is one of the most cost-competitive ethylene crackers globally.
The ROGC complex marks a paradigm shift in the profitability and sustainability of our petrochemicals business.
The Future of Mobility
Reliance BP Mobility Limited (RBML)
RBML, operating under the brand Jio-bp, is designed to be a partnership with bp that combines international expertise and local strengths to fulfil India’s fast-growing demands for energy and futuristic mobility.
Together, we aspire to build on our existing fuel offerings while introducing advanced mobility solutions and a range of convenience services for Indian consumers.
RBML launched its first Jio-bp branded Mobility Station in Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- - 1,500+ outlets in the Jio-bp network
Jio-bp Mobility Stations
- Multiple fuelling choices while providing a world-class retailing experience
- EV charging infrastructure across India
- Free, quick and reliable oil change service for two-wheelers at Castrol Express Oil Change
- Additivised fuel across the network at no extra cost, a first in India
- Wild Bean Café – an international on-the-move brand
- Initiated network-wide rebranding exercise for existing outlets, Aviation Fuel Services (AFS) and tank-trucks
Expanding O2C capacity to create greater value
We are expanding capacities in existing and new value chains through an investment of Rs 75,000 crore (US$ 10 billion) in our Oil-to-Chemicals business.
In the Polyester value chain, we will build one of the world’s largest single-train Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) plants of 3 MMTPA capacity and invest in a 1 MMTPA Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) plant at Dahej – both of which are targeted for completion by 2026.
We will also reinvest in Polyester Filament Yarn (PFY) and Polyester Staple Fibre (PSF). Polyester expansion with capacity of over 1 MMTPA will be completed in phases by 2026.
In the Vinyl chain, we will more than triple our existing capacity by adding world-scale plants at Dahej and Jamnagar in India, and also in the UAE. We will aim to complete 1.5 MMTPA of feedstock integrated Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) expansion at Dahej and Jamnagar in phases by 2026. We will also add capacities to make Ethylene Dichloride (EDC) and PVC at Ruwais, in the UAE, as part of Ta'ziz Chemical Zone.
The joint venture with ADNOC and ADQ will target to fulfil domestic demand of the region. With these expansions, we will rank among the Top 5 producers of PVC globally.
Awards & Recognition
Jio-bp wins IMAGES ‘Most Admired Retailer of the Year’ award
Jamnagar Manufacturing Division awarded ‘Manufacturing ICON Award’ at the National Awards for Excellence
Jamnagar DTA refinery receives ‘Best-in-class Safety Excellence Award 2021’ and ‘Manufacturing Award 2021’
EZ refinery wins the prestigious ‘Refinery of the Year’ award from Federation of Indian Petroleum Industry (FIPI) in 2020-21
Jamnagar refinery listed among the world’s top five manufacturing units by Discovery Channel